Local and National Union News
The Local 570 Executive Board extends its thanks to the members for their continued support.
Local 570 officers and trustees re-elected for another 3-year term
October, 2020 | On Sunday, October 11, 2020, nominations for the election of the Local 570 Executive Board were held during the monthly membership meeting at the Local Union Hall. Incumbents were nominated and, as there were no other nominations, all are re-elected. Pictured above, left to right: Larry Kelly, Trustee (Republic National Distributing Co.); Richard Brown, President; Karen Miller, Trustee (Costco); Moses Jackson, Vice President; Sean Cedenio, Secretary-Treasurer/Principal Officer; Joseph Fowler, Recording Secretary; and Angelo Wilson, Trustee (Cloverland Dairy). The Executive Board vowed to continue its hard work for strong contracts, maintain and improve benefits, and grow the Local Union membership. The three-year term is January 1, 2021, through December 31, 2024. Click here to view more photos in the Photo Gallery. (Note: Image loading time varies.)
In case you missed these...
• COVID-19 news updates for Oct. 29, 2020
• American households are doing better than expected
• Trump Administration’s attacks on workers are relentless
• Why the Republican Party wants to destroy labor unions
• The specter of pension failures haunts the election
• U.S. workers fear for future as election, COVID-19 loom
• Workers keep getting fired for reporting COVID-19 safety violations
• AFSCME sues federal labor agency in court over anti-union policies
• Thousands of aviation layoffs loom amid a dysfunctional Congress
• HOS rule’s legality questioned by Teamsters, safety groups
• A special message from Vice President Joe Biden to Teamster members:
Md. election officials: Don’t mail ballots; use drop boxes
Oct. 29, 2020 | With reports of slow mail delivery across the country, Maryland election officials are urging voters to return their mail-in ballots at drop-boxes throughout the state instead of using the Postal Service. Learn more here.
Download your Teamster ‘I Voted’ Facebook frame
Oct. 26, 2020 | Let everyone know that you’re a Teamster and you voted! Download these frames as your profile picture on Facebook to show that Teamsters are making our voices heard at the polls in this historic election.
Early voting in Maryland begins Monday. Here’s what to know.
Oct. 26, 2020 | The end is in sight. With eight days left in the U.S. presidential campaign, early in-person voting begins today in Maryland. In an election reshaped by the coronavirus pandemic and colored with uncertainty, more than 800,000 Maryland voters have already submitted ballots by mail or drop box. Here are answers to some commonly asked questions.
Despite COVID-19 restrictions, Team570 negotiators hammer out new contracts, a few extensions
Oct. 20, 2020 | The business of our union doesn’t stop for anything, not even a global pandemic. With more nearly two dozen contracts expiring this year, Local 570 bargaining teams succeeded in bringing back new contracts for ratification and, in some cases, approved extensions for others. Given the difficult circumstances we live with in this coronavirus environment, the Local and the negotiating committees appreciate the commitment and patience of our members. Principal Officer Sean Cedenio said recently. “In this time of crisis, you stood up, and no matter what, you continue to go to work and do your job. Thank you for helping us work through some tough times.” An update on ratifications and current negotiations is here.
Notice: Proposed plan for nomination and election of IBT Convention delegates
The Local 570 plan to nominate and elect delegates to the IBT Convention to be held in June 2021 has been submitted to the Election Supervisor for approval. The Election Plan is available for review at www.ibtvote.org.
Older news stories can be found at Local News
Elsewhere in the News Union Sues POTUS Over Order Making It Easier to Fire Fed. Workers Why Workers Will Decide the 2020 Election Increasing the Minimum Wage Would Help, Not Hurt, the Economy In Case You Missed It
• COVID-19 news updates for Oct. 21, 2020
• The Fight for $15 is more important than ever
• Why I’m voting against hate
• Famous protests in US history and their impacts
• Teamsters call for zero emissions in private waste industry
• Laid-off Disney Teamsters work as volunteers at food bank
• Baltimore Teachers Union urges parents to boycott school reopening
• American Postal Workers Union continues fight to save USPS
• Labor prepares for a last-minute general strike if Trump tries to steal the election
• The Baltimore Sun’s Maryland Voter Guide 2020
How to Boost Unions’ Power? Sectoral Bargaining.